ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS FOR MINORS
NOTICE: This is only a list of the ADDED requirements for minors. All other laws, rules, and requirements for marriage license still apply.
FEMALE 16 OR 17
- Both Parents must be present (and have a US Government Photo ID) to take the oath, and sign the license.*
- A Pre-Marriage Counseling letter is required. This can be obtained through a licensed minister or a counseling agency (see yellow pages for marriage counseling). Note: If the letter is from a minister, it must be on the church letterhead or church stationary.
- US Government Issued Photo ID. If a driver's license is not obtainable, then the bride must have a State ID.
FEMALE 15 OR YOUNGER AND MALE 17 OR YOUNGER
- ALL OF THE ABOVE
- For minors of this age, consent must also be obtained through Juvenile Court (852-8000). Typically, this is not granted unless the female is pregnant. If she does receive permission, she needs to present us with the Court Entry signed by the Juvenile Court Judge. This does NOT take the place of parental consent.
*Notes Regarding Parental Consent
- If parents are divorced - only the parent with custody has to come in and provide consent. He / she has to bring the divorce decree proving custody.
- If parents are separated - there is an affidavit (provided by our office) that is filled out by the parent still responsible for the minor. There are certain requirements for using this affidavit (see affidavit.)
- If one parent is deceased - then the other parent needs to provide a death certificate.
- If both parents are deceased - then the person(s) who has legal guardianship must sign, and show the guardianship papers.