Instructions for Civil Commitment

*** ALERT ***

Before coming to our Mental Health Department to file an affidavit for someone you feel may need to be evaluated or admitted for mental illness, please call UC Mobile Crisis at (513) 584-5098.

Frequently Asked Questions

Questions can arise while you are looking for the content that you need. The following are common questions that have often been posed to our office.

My loved one suffers from alcohol or drug addiction. Can I probate them?

Usually, a person can only be hospitalized involuntarily on the basis of a mental illness or intellectual disability. A separate procedure can be utilized for persons suffering solely from alcohol or substance abuse. Contact our Mental Health Department at (513) 946-3592 for more information on that procedure.

What other options are there for having a person evaluated?

University Hospital has a Mobile Crisis Team that consists of psychiatric social workers who can evaluate a person at their residence. For more information, contact University Hospital at 584-8577. Also, University Hospital has a Psychiatric Emergency Services (PES) that can assist with psychiatric emergencies. If the alleged mentally ill or intellectually disabled individual is willing to go to the hospital, you can take them directly to PES. Also, a case manager or other community support worker may be able to assist or offer further suggestions or recommendations.

Do I need an attorney to complete this process?

No, however, if you are more comfortable proceeding with counsel, that is acceptable.

Can I complete this process at home?

The only part of the process that can be completed outside of the Court is completing the preliminary paperwork. The affidavit must be completed in the presence of court personnel, so the person completing the affidavit can be sworn in.