record search
general information
probate form tutorials
birth correction
birth registration
civil commitment
civil proceedings
custodial accounts
delivery of minor funds
declaration of paternity
estate administration
living will
minor settlement
name change
will deposit
marriage licenses
court records
local rules
ohio probate courts


Frequently Asked Questions About Name Change

 The following are common questions that have often been posed to our office:

What are the Requirements for Changing a Name? back to top

A person desiring to change his or her name must be a resident of the county for at least one year prior to the filing of an application.

Where do I File a Change of Name? back to top

Applications must be filed in the probate court in the county in which the applicant resides.

What is the Procedure for Changing a Name? back to top

  1. Obtain appropriate forms from probate court. Complete the forms and file with the probate court and pay court costs. At the time of filing, a case number and hearing date are assigned.
  2. You must place the required legal ad in a paper of general circulation in Hamilton County at least thirty (30) days prior to the hearing. Proof of such publication shall be filed by you at the time of the hearing.
  3. A certified copy of the birth certificate shall be presented to the probate court with the application to change the name of a minor.

If the court is satisfied that reasonable and proper cause exists for the change of name, the court will approve the change of name at the hearing in the absence of fraud or other misrepresentation by the applicant.

How Does One File an Application On Behalf of a Minor? back to top

When the application is made on behalf of a minor under eighteen (18) years of age, publication and application must be made by one of the natural parents, legal guardian, or guardian ad litem. The consent of both living legal parents in writing must be filed with the application. Failure to obtain consent will necessitate a formal hearing with notice sent to the non-consenting parent by certified mail.

How Do I Correct Records After the Court Hearing ? back to top

Where the applicant seeking a legal change of name was born in the State of Ohio, the applicant must send a certified copy of his or her original birth certificate and certified copy of the probate court order legally changing his or her name to the Ohio Department of Health, Division of Vital Statistics. The applicant will receive an amendment to the certificate containing the new name and a statement that their records have been corrected. The present charge for obtaining the certificate is $9.00.

What Forms Will I Need? back to top

Application forms for change of names, registering and correcting birth certificates may be obtained from the Probate Court.

Click here to access forms to Change the Name of an Adult

Click here to access forms to Change the Name of a Minor

Click here to access Instructions for Changing the Name of an Adult or a Minor

What are the Costs of Changing a Name? back to top

The following is a list of present ordinary costs. It is recommended that the cost be verified before submitting any payment

Copy of birth certificate $10.00

Application to register birth $30.00

Application to correct birth certificate $30.00

Application to change name $100.00